My-Cast by Garmin announces its latest upgrade for Android customers. Our engineers have spent the summer bringing new features to your favorite weather app. Based on your feedback, we’ve also made lots of improvements to features already in the software.
Storm Watch Map displays warnings, watches and advisories from the National Weather Service and Environment Canada so you can see exactly which areas are threatened by severe weather. Tapping on the screen will provide a list of alerts for the area your finger touched. You can select one of the alerts in the list to see text information.
My-Cast uses official Storm-Base Warnings in the U.S. which limit alerts to only the areas affected reducing false alarms.
Lightning Strike Map is available as a part of the Severe Weather Upgrade Package. It plots lightning strikes as a layer on the map.
Transparency Slider for overlays allows you to vary the transparency of the radar, satellite or other overlays to let the map features show through.
Push Alerts is also part of the Severe Weather Upgrade Package. It sends alerts for nearby lighting strikes along with severe weather warnings, watches and advisories to your device the moment they are issued. These alerts show up in the Android notification area and can be configured for each of your locations.
UV and Air Quality Forecasts are now available in the forecast menu. Air quality forecasts cover the next two days and UV forecasts go out five days so you can change your plans accordingly.
Moon Phase is displayed at the bottom of the Currents menu.
Yesterday’s Precipitation Totals are included in the Currents menu for those locations that report data.
- Default location can be changed when no location services are available.
- Users can disable location services.
- Update interval for widgets and status bar/notification area can be selected under Preferences->Update Interval.
- The forecast is now selected using the closest point to the location requested by the user rather than the closest weather observation point. This will improve forecast accuracy for rural locations and locations with varying elevation or proximity to large bodies of water.
- New Facebook connect/disconnect button under Preferences to resolve issues posting to Facebook.
- Improved error checking with Facebook servers to help with problems posting.
If you have any question or suggestions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or post feedback via the application by tapping on the Android device menu button ->More->Feedback. We will try to include as much feedback as possible in our next release.